Friday, March 12, 2010

The Merits of "Video Resumes"

This week, my BCIT Television students are completing their video resumes. So I pose the following questions.

Since you are just going through the process of completing your video resume,
- Do you think the video format offers advantages a "traditional" resume does not?
- Do you think there are any disadvantages to posting a video resume?
- What was the most interesting aspect of this project for you?

Finally, overall, would you recommend the video resume to other job seekers? Any job seekers? Or just those in TV/ film/ entertainment like you.
**Please include a link to your video resume in your reply!

19 comments:

  1. This format does offer a great deal of advantages to a "traditional" resume for people in the multimedia, film and television industries. This format allows prospective employees in our industry to quickly display what they can do, and in many cases give a strong sense of their personality. However, this format does have its limits.

    I found it very hard to select which clips to use for this reel because I had so little to choose from. I did not wish to included news stories that I shot and edited with the dramatic shorts we created in our Production classes as it wouldn't make sense to show a news broadcaster a dramatic short I worked on. I alter my resume for every job I apply for and a video resume does not allow me to do that; at least not as easily.

    I was surprised at how uncomfortable I was being in the video resume. In my original format I had planned on shooting myself talking and intercutting it with clips from my work but found that it was actually a detriment to my video as I just came off as awkward and generally off-putting. In my case it just made more sense to leave myself out of it and that's what I did.

    Next I tried to animate a version of myself which would speak for me and perhaps create a more comical video resume, but felt that in the end it came off as asinine. In the end, what I had was a demo reel.

    I would recommend the video resume to anyone who is charming, attractive or comfortable on camera. If you are awkward, sweaty or generally unpleasant to watch then I would avoid doing it as it will probably just hurt your chances.

    Link: http://www.vimeo.com/10130190

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, the main advantage of a video resume is that it will stand out from all the paper-based resumes. And really, having a unique and memorable resume is almost as important as its content. So until video resumes become so widely used that they become commonplace, I think well made video resumes are a great way to get your skills noticed.

    However, a downside of video resumes are that they can be a hassle to modify and update. A traditional resume is easily changed, but a video resume will require a fair amount of work to keep it current.

    In addition to those looking for work in the media and entertainment business, I would also recommend a video resume for positions involving public speaking, presentations, and exceptional conversational skills.

    Jordan's video resume: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIIduMpl4gE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think video resumes offer an advantage to a job seeker for several reasons. Firstly, using a video resume is still an emerging trend, so it has that essential ability to allow a job-seeker to stand out from a field of competitors. Secondly, it's a much more effective way of presenting one's personality to a prospective employer. And finally, it can be used to demonstrate various technical skills. In fact, a video resume can be tailored to highlight specific skills required in a potential job.

    That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable abandoning a traditional paper resume and relying solely on a video resume. It's easier for an important item to be overlooked by someone watching a video resume, and if the job requires delivery of a physical document, much less effort is required of an employer to view a paper resume than a video resume.

    Perhaps in the future, using a video resume will be standard accepted practice, but at present, I feel like I should still include my paper resume in a job application.

    http://vimeo.com/10236714

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that the video resume format is a great way to show other people what you are like before you meet them. It gives people a bit more to look forward to for your first interview because it shows your skill and confidence more then paper can show.

    The disadvantage would be that the future employer can judge you right then and there and decide he doesn't want an interview based on the way you are talking or the content you are showing.

    The most interesting aspect of this was talking about myself into the camera, the pressure is on!! I had so many bloopers. I think it is great for my profession though and think I will make another one soon when I add more to my demo reel

    I think everyone should try it because its differen't and employers want to see people with new ideas and ambition.

    (This is so long, i will make a different one soon)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MatatatBourne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I video resumes are definitely a great idea, especially when you trying to get into broadcasting. I think it allowed me to show a lot of the different projects that I worked on.

    I really don't like being on camera so that part of the resume was not fun for me.

I think the real disadvantage is it is hard to update, and takes up a lot more memory than traditional resumes.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU1VilR7jfI

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think video resumes are a great idea since you have the opportunity to be creative and stand out. Film and Broadcasting are very hard industries to get into, so you should use every tool out there to market yourself.

    Now, I haven't done mine yet :D (Shannon I promise I will get it done as soon as I'm done work) and like Kyle I don't really like being on camera, I sell my fish much better in person. It will be an uncomfortable situation for me, but I will try my best and hopefully get hired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think video resumes are good because it allows you a chance to be creative and showcase some of your work. If you are able to make your personality come through in your resume, this might make employers feel like they already know you. This potentially helps employers make decisions they otherwise wouldn't be able to make until they meet you.

    I would personally much rather meet with an employer in person. I feel that I interview better than I could ever come across on film. I would rather hand in a demo reel without my voice or anything on it along with a resume. I would worry that through a video resume, employers might pass judgment on people based on how they look or act before even meeting them. To me, it's kind of like submitting a photo with a resume (usually totally unnecessary).

    I guess I'm torn about the merit of video resumes. Maybe if I was more happy with my video resume, I'd feel differently...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn08YuEKn6c

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel that a video resume is a great way to sell yourself and your work. The advantage is that a potential employer gets a better sense about who you are, plus they get to see your work rather than hear about it on a piece of paper.

    The most interesting aspect of this project for me was looking at all the work I have done so far.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr3TEmjqypA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Video Resumes equals more jobs, more jobs mean more money. At the end of the day, if you want to be a successful freelance broadcaster, you have got to sell yourself.
    Although, most employers do not recommend you send in a demo reel when applying for a specific job in the Broadcast industry, I feel that a plain paper Resume itself does not do justice. Employers want to see what I am capable of via a demo reel; it's a good thing to have regardless.
    This is a very good skill to have, because I am using my editing skills to enhance my shooting skills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are definite advantages to having a video resume for creative and technical industries like television and film production. What better way to show off what you can do than by actually doing it?

    Of course, video resumes do work better for some types of skills than others. If you want to be a camera operator, editor, graphic artist, or work in the lighting or sound fields, a video resume easily and practically demonstrates your talent. But if you best assets aren't technical ones, how do you show these creatively in a video? This is exactly what I struggled with on my video resume; while I eventually came up with a workable solution, I think its important for each person to assess whether a video resume is an appropriate medium for their skills before they create one.

    Ultimately, a video resume should be used to enhance a regular resume, not replace it. It isn't suitable for details, so don't bother if all you are going to do is read your resume out loud. Moreover, a paper resume is way easier for an employer to skim over or use as a reference at an interview. Instead, the video resume should be a memorable way to highlight your key skills and stand out from the crowd. In fact, I think a video resume is more like a cover letter than a resume - making a first impression, introducing your personality, and showcasing your best assets.

    Here's a thought - why don't we call them video calling cards instead?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think there are some advatages as well as disadvantages to having a video blog.

    In order to create a successful video blog, one must have personality, confidience and a general comfort in front of the camera. A lot of people who are applying for jobs for a technincal position or behind-the-camera position is because that's exactly it-they want to be behind the camera. If someone poses as extremely uncomfortable in their video blog- that may demonstrate a lack of confidince.

    On the other hand, it's something that people should just bite the bullet on and learn how to be confident in front of the camera.

    I like the idea of a video blog because it's something that showcases your talents right away. A lot of the times you have to get your foot in the door before anyone has a chance to see what one is willing to showcase. With a video resume, it's out in the public so there's a chance anyone could see it.

    Here is the link to my video blog:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-tXGOOutR0

    Kris Woznesensky xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Resumes in video format do offer some advantages over those done on paper. First, the Employer can put a face to the name. Second, the Job Seeker can pick and choose what they want the Employer to see. And third, the Job Seeker can showcase their communication skills. However, I do believe that video resumes pose some drawbacks. First, the Employer may judge the applicant by their physical appearance (for example, picking the more attractive applicant between two equally qualifies individuals). Although this may be illegal, many Employers still do this. Second, the Job Seeker can easily manipulate their video with editing. And third, the Job Seeker may clam up when in front of the camera and give the impression of weak communication skills. This is very common and should only be taken into consideration if the Job Seeker is an Actor, Journalist, or TV Host.
    The most interesting part of this assignment for me was trying to talk naturally into the camera (there is a reason why I belong behind the camera!). Overall, I would recommend the video resume to other job seekers in any field.

    Here is my video resume: http://vimeo.com/10169271

    ReplyDelete
  13. While a video resume can offer something different, and potentially appealing, their are specific risks attatched. Let's face it, not that many people are entirely comfortable in front of the camera, especially when talking about themselves. Having an akward video resume could put people in a worse position with potential employers....

    ReplyDelete
  14. A well designed video resume that promotes the job seeker's strengths can be a valuable tool to both the employer and job seeker. It is a definitely a step up from the conventional paper resume. It allows the employer to get a better awareness of the job seeker's essence and personality. For the job seeker, a video resume can make it possible to stand out from all the others. But it can be hard to keep their attention.

    A video resume lets the job seeker escape text, and be more creative which can impress employers. But having a longer video resume can be more time consuming for the employer, especially if there are a lot of other applicants. It isn't as easy as glancing at a well structured piece of paper with all the information nicely laid out.

    However, it doesn't completely remove all of the risk for either parties. Videos can be deceiving, and some people don't always come off as flattering while on camera. Where as other people can fake their personality on camera. Also, a majority of the world is still very conservative with how they look for employees, and the traditional paper resume is in their comfort zone.

    It really depends on the industry the job seeker wants to find a job in. For some industries like media and television, a video resume in itself can easily show off the job seeker's editing skills and knowledge in producing a video. But for other types of industries it seems less practical because when it comes down to it, all they really want is someone who is qualified for the job, and a paper resume can communicate this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are definitely positives and negatives of completing a resume electronically or on paper. A video resume needs to be strong. Nobody wants to watch a poorly constructed video with mediocre audio. It needs to flow, contain relevant and somewhat intriguing information while providing the employer with a solid idea of what you're capable of. That being said, a video resume that is right on the money and a pleasure to view, is almost a guarantee that your video resume will stand out much more than someone who has submitted a paper copy. A paper resume, however, leaves much more to the imagination. It leaves everything on the table and may come off as a tad bit boring if not laid our appropriately. However, with the right information and minimal clutter, a paper resume can rock the "tuxedo" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe that there is a definite advantage to doing a video resume over a traditional paper resume. You can show your personality more, your face, and let people know who you are as a person.
    I believe it is also more beneficial for those of us in the television industry because it gives us a chance to actually showcase our work and show it as apposed to just listing it off on paper.
    With that being said, there are some negatives as well.
    If people get lost in the humor or artsy design of the video resume, they can lose site of the actual work experience and job list you are trying to get across (many things can cause this confusion including distracting music, too many graphics flying around, too many distracting visuals etc.) so there can definitely be some downsides as well.
    The most interesting part of this video resume project for me was being able to edit all my work together and actually look at it as a whole and be proud of what I have done over the past two years!

    -Julie Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  17. The advantages I see with a video resume are the ability to show yourself and express the skills that you have. A traditional resume doesn't speak out with it's lists of previous education or skills. The other advantage is that you can showcase your work. In the case of TV students, we can use it to provide a demo reel of our productions or news work which really speaks out about your ability.

    The disadvantages to it I find applicable to me is that I have applied to various positions and find that a demo reel is not relevent to each. I also will change my resume to suit each job application and doing so with a video resume is not as easy.
    The most interesting aspect to the project was that I built a small demo reel. I previously did not have one so this was the perfect assignment to create one.
    For other people who have skill in an area that is more focused on one job position a video resume might work well because of the advantages I listed.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqSJ7YcD_Y8

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Then there's always what isn't said in a video resume, which sometimes speaks louder than the content itself. For instance, one can't doubt the confidence displayed in this clip, though somewhat irreverent.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUZ7RZSMb5s

    Note: I'm not affiliated with this producer. It was offered as a related clip after one of the video resumes listed above.

    ReplyDelete